What is remortgaging?
Remortgaging involves taking out a new mortgage on a property you’ve already bought. You might do this to replace an existing mortgage deal or to borrow money against your home.
Other reasons to remortgage
Even if you’re not on your lender’s SVR, there are a variety of reasons you might want to remortgage:
- To beat interest rate hikes. As inflation goes up, interest rates are starting to follow suit, so it may make sense to lock into a low rate now.
- You’re coming to the end of a deal. Mortgage advisers generally agree you should start looking for a new deal around three to six months before your current rate ends.
- The value of your home has gone up. A significant rise in the value of your home may have moved you into a lower loan-to-value band, meaning remortgaging may give you access to reduced rates.
- You want to borrow against your home. Remortgaging may allow you to raise money cheaply on low rates. Before doing this, it’s worth getting mortgage advice to make sure this really is the cheapest way for you to borrow.
- You want to overpay, and you can’t on your current deal. If you’ve come into some money recently, remortgaging will allow you to reduce the size of your loan and possibly get a better rate. You’ll need to take into account any exit fees or early repayment charges to weigh up whether remortgaging makes financial sense.
Where to start
It’s not always clear cut whether you’ll benefit from remortgaging. A qualified mortgage adviser will look at your circumstances and find out exactly what you want to achieve by remortgaging. For example, are you simply looking to reduce your monthly payments or do you want a more flexible mortgage that allows payment holidays? The adviser will then set out the right options for you. Regular mortgage reviews can help ensure you’re never overpaying unnecessarily.
If you’d like to speak to someone about your mortgage, we’re here to help.
You may have to pay an early repayment charge to your existing lender if you remortgage.
YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE.
Meet our Team
With our team having extensive knowledge and experience within the mortgage and protection industry, we are positive we will deliver an excellent service whether you are looking to buy a new home or remortgage a current property.